Day 24: A book that I wish more people would've read...

Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton

Described as a "techno-thriller novel documenting the efforts of a team of scientists investigating a deadly extraterrestrial microorganism which rapidly and fatally clots human blood, while inducing insanity in some people", this was published in 1969. I tend to avoid older books, perhaps unfairly. But the film adaptation of Outbreak had just come out and my Dad let me watch it even though it was rated R. I loved it and quickly decided I was a science nerd. So, I bought Andromeda Strain at an airport gift shop. I was just old enough to understand what I was reading and I loved it. I reread it over and over. And I wanted to talk about it. I wanted to get the opinion of others. I wanted to gush over how intense and disturbing it was. But nobody had read it. Nobody had even heard of it. Any time I mentioned it, the only response I'd get was "Oh, you mean that old movie?" Uuugh! No, the book!

It's one of Crichton's earlier works and it's raw compared to his later books, but most definitely a worthy read. And I used the oldest cover of the book I could find since I made an issue of the book's age.

But a lot of people have read it. It was a bestseller and has a shitload of ratings on GR. I just don't know those people. I tend to hang out with the romance and fantasy crowd, not the hard science thriller crowd.

Reblogged from Lyndi