Secret Desires of a Gentleman (Girl Bachelors, #3) by Laura Lee Guhrke

Secret Desires of a Gentleman - Laura Lee Guhrke

I liked the plot. The story was good. But the hero, Philip, wasn't very appealing. Usually when we have a Darcy-esque kind of attitude (you know exactly what I mean - the haughty snob front), the character has some sort of endearing quality about him. One he keeps hidden from polite society - he has to present the haughty snob front, but deep down he's something more and not so superior as he is presented to the ton (always in italics, people). Darcy was haughty and ill-tempered, but he was actually a wonderful sort of man that cared deeply for others and went out of his way to better the lives of his relations and the people under him.

Philip didn't have that. Oh, his family was in charge of some charities, but where is the scene that shows us Philip's secret humanity? If you're gonna give me cliches, at least give me the corresponding cliches that make the character redeemable! There was nothing to recommend the poor sop other than his being a Marquess. He was fucking rude, man. Just... rude. And high handed. *sigh* I didn't like him. I didn't much care for Maria, either. Not because she did anything wrong or her character didn't feel right, she was just kinda boring.

I managed to get my hands on a whole set of these HRs by Laura Lee Guhrke, so I'll be reading through them over the next few days. Hopefully I'll find one that I really like.