Chasing Joshua - Cara North I tried reading the first novel in this series, the story of Grace and Ethan. And I remember putting it down, but I don't remember why. I think Grace got on my nerves, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I decided to give this one a shot because I knew this story wouldn't totally depend on the previous story, while Grace and Ethan played enough of a part that I got to witness their HEA. It all makes sense when you look at it from my point of view...So... Evelyn, a friend of Grace, is a totally badass, military trained master of martial arts... bounty hunter.Meet Evelyn. But imagine her with a busted up face, black eye, covered in mud...She's on the run from her insane-doesn't-even-begin-to-describe-it father that wants to rape, torture, and kill her. Maybe not in that order. So she heads to her safe house, which used to belong to Grace, but is now inhabited by Joshua, Ethan's cop-turned-teacher cousin. Guns are pulled, calls are made, people have sex, la la la... I don't want to ruin the story for you. But it's good.The CharactersEvelyn was a little silly when I know it was supposed to be a serious moment. I just don't get where the bondage thing came from. So weird. But she was kick ass and watching her soften up was quite enjoyable. So often when I read a seriously badass female character, she comes across as too gruff and I don't find her appealing. Stubborn, prideful... they aren't fun to read. Evelyn was a great mix of femininity, strength, and ninja.Joshua was just kinda nice for me. I liked his alpha protectiveness and all that, but he wasn't anything special. He was a carbon copy of "dark haired alpha cop" that could have come from a million different romantic suspense novels. He could have had a little more something... some kind of spark that made him stand out. Nothing wrong with him, but nothing special, either.The PlotThe storytelling jumps around a little to different POVs, so you see things are happening with the 'suspense' part of things while a good chunk of the book is spent on the 'romance' side of it. As soon as I started to forget that this wasn't just a cushy contemporary romance, the suspense came roaring back in with a vengeance and reminded me that there was in fact, still some sort of danger. I kinda liked that but at the same time, it all kinda wrapped up too quickly.The RomanceI'm not going to say it was great, but I'll say it was above average. I felt the chemistry between Evelyn and Joshua. The sex scenes were nice. My problem is a) Evelyn got over her "issues" pretty damn fast, and b) we didn't get much in the way of talking about each other. Maybe if I knew more about what made Joshua tick, I'd like him more.Overall, I enjoyed the story and will pick up another Cara North book when I see one available. If I'd gotten a bitchy scene between Amelia & Evelyn and a "let's talk about our feelings" conversation between Evelyn and Joshua, this would have been a 4 star read. As it is, we'll have to settle for 3 stars.I'd recommend this book, but I wouldn't hassle anyone to read it.