Hellfire (Theirs Not To Reason Why #3)

Hellfire (Theirs Not to Reason Why) - Jean Johnson

I have a hard time reconciling the fact that this series is one of my favorites, but the same author wrote a book that I wanted to beat people with. And another book that I couldn't stand past 5%. I don't really get it. But regardless of her other works, this series just does it for me.

It does have info-dumps, but they're usually pretty interesting for those of us that like technical details. You can tell the author put a lot of work into the world building and the laws of physics of this world. So much so that I had a difficult time disconnecting myself from the story once I stopped reading. This is evident in the fact that I reread the first two books in one (very long) day and then started the third book the moment I woke up. And yes, I spent the whole day reading it. Though I did manage to remember to eat this time.

I'm not going to explain the plot or the characters. If you're on this page, you've probably already read the previous two books in this series and know what's going on. I will say that this book is a necessary continuation of the story. If you've read the other two books, you simply have to read this one. If you've given up on the series, then screw you - you're missing out. Things that were set up in the previous books are slowly coming together, the petals unfurling. You can almost... almost grasp what the author is going to do, but she's so damn good, you can't predict it with any certainty.

I am completely and unabashedly in love with Ia, Meyun, Bennie, and Helstead. There is so much going on in this series, it's hard to hold yourself back and simply read. I constantly want to jump forward in the story to see how things turned out. I can't possibly imagine how the author is going to continue this story. Not that I don't think she can - oh yes, she can. I just don't see how we're going to get to the end without skipping large chunks of decades at a time in the future books. But that may be the plan. Who knows?

Anyway, I highly recommend this series. I warn you of info-dumps, a battle-hardened Ia that keeps her emotions strapped down tight, and maybe 3 or 4 lines of romance. Still an amazing series. Give it a try.