Meeting Destiny (Destiny, #1)

Meeting Destiny (Destiny, #1) - Nancy Straight I got this as a freebie from Amazon for Kindle.Let me first say that the "Protectors", "Instigators", "Anarchists", "Tempters", and "Mates" thing is pretty fucking cool. I was so excited about it. But not long after we learn about it, we don't hear about it again. I would have liked to experience a bit more of what that was all about.I have two serious complaints: the romance and the ending.The romance felt too slow and hesitant for most of the book before they're suddenly pronouncing their undying love for each other. They're meant to be. It's destiny. He loves her, she loves him. He'll move mountains for her and shit! Basically, this is very serious business. So, they go traipsing through the woods together and some weird shit happens that makes no sense. End of chapter. Then Lauren wakes up from a coma after two and a half years and Max is gone, joined the Navy and is off fighting in Afghanistan. THE END.WHAT THE FUCK?!*drums fingernails on the table until somebody offers a god damn explanation*Whatever. So, I see there is a 2nd book, which is great and all, but I am a firm believer that each book in a series needs to be able to stand on its own. Especially the 1st book in a series. With no satisfactory ending, some people may be chomping at the bit to find out what happens in the 2nd book. But not me. I'm just pissed off that I didn't get an ending to a story I just invested hours in. The 'resolution' wasn't satisfying at all and left me feeling pretty bummed out. That's not the feeling an author wants to give the reader at the end of the book.The reviews for the sequel are questionable... 22 5 star reviews and 1 4 star review? I'm just not sure. I'll put it on my to-read list, but I'm not sure I want to pay for it.