Double Play

Double Play - Jill Shalvis My friends and I trade e-books and I traded my Patricia Cornwell collection for a Jill Shalvis collection (and seriously doubting my sanity because of it). So I've been trying to tear through the collection so I can trade it in for something horribly smutty, which means I've basically read the same author for a week now. Not a good idea.After a handful of DNFs where the tropes and cliches were so abundant it was almost parody, I've finished maybe 10 books? And now I'm starting to recognize phrases that aren't just used in two or three books, but damn near every one of them. And I am so not going back to look through 10+ e-books to offer you references, so you'll just have to deal with my sketchy memory.When a girl orgasms, she suddenly sees a kaleidoscope of colors. Without fail, all these heroes have magical dicks that make you see shit when you come.Everyone has wild monkey sex. Perhaps it's just my bad luck that 3 books in a row have used this phrase, but I know without a doubt that it will show up again. And it's killing me. Are there domesticated monkeys? Do they have sex in the missionary position under the covers with the lights off? Do they schedule sex for once a week and the male leaves his trouser socks on? I don't get it. Very rarely does the male lead throw a woman down and hump her into the floor before picking fleas and lice out of her hair. So I've yet to see any wild monkey sex, Jill Shalvis."I don't think-""Perfect. Don't think." *proceed with making out and/or finger-banging*Another one found in at least three novels. What the hell? Cutting off somebody's protest in a situation like this always makes me wonder. Is the girl really protesting and trying to make the guy stop? No means no, except in fiction? If she had continued to protest, would he have continued? This feels weird.All the books take place in the Sierra Mountains. This is the only place that exists. As for this book, Double Play, I was surprisingly pleased with it. I expected to DNF (yes, it's a verb AND a noun) it because I tend to dislike female reporter characters. The authors tend to take the 'tenacious truth teller' thing a bit too far. But I really enjoyed Holly in this book. She was honest, fair, and didn't push too hard or too often. Pace was a good guy, his character came across as not only being under pressure but being up to the task of handling that pressure. I'd want one of him. The plot dragged a couple times, but only enough to make me skim a few paragraphs, not skip pages. I didn't feel like all the typical tropes were used or the plot was too formulaic, both of which surprised me since my latest complaints about Jill Shalvis were that the tropes were too common and the story too formulaic. Weird, eh?It's a light read - my heart wasn't pumping, my gut didn't hurt from laughing, no tears did I shed. But by the end of the book, I wanted the characters to live happily ever after. Mission accomplished, Shalvis. All in all, I enjoyed this book. And after reading a shitload of books by this author, that's more surprising than finding an occupied glory hole in your bathroom stall wall.I'd definitely recommend this book to my friends that like cute, mindless reads.