Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires Series #1)

Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires Series #1) - Edit at the bottom.I avoided reading this sooner because of the 1st-person POV. I don't like sitting in somebody's head while they ruminate over their doomed love life - it touches too close to home, ok? :pBut I was tired of Harlequin romances and decided it might be time to delve back into the world of vampires for a few days. And I'm glad I did. While I undoubtedly have a couple complaints, the overall read was great! I'll be starting the next book as soon as I finish this review... and possibly some McDonald's since I probably won't leave the couch for the rest of the night.First, my complaints:BOY BOY BOY BOYEveryone is a boy, nobody is a man. Not even a guy or dude. I stopped referring to males as "boys" around the time I stopped referring to them as "icky"... let's say 12 years old. Then it was "guys" until I became old enough to realize what I really wanted was a "man"... around 19 21 years old. This character is 28 years old. Not only is she way past the age at which referring to a member of the opposite sex (who you are not babysitting) as "boy" is appropriate, but she's talking about 400+ and 70+ year old vampires. Those are anything but boys, honey. It grated on my nerves every single damn time she used the word and she used it a lot. I kept feeling like I had accidentally picked up a YA novel. But while it was annoying, it didn't ruin the story. It just underminededededed (seriously, you try to figure out how many ed's there are supposed to be on the end of that word) Merit's supposed level of maturity.The love-hate thing between Ethan and Merit is understandable, but I felt it should have taken one more step before the end of the story. I didn't get a good feel of where those two were at when I finished the book. But reviews of other books have eluded to a romance between them and Amber is obviously out of the picture. So I guess I know where it's going. Can I also say, I'm not sure how I feel about Morgan? Like, he seems genuine one second and then manipulative and sketchy the next.Otherwise, and those are two SERIOUSLY minor complaints coming from me, I had a great time reading this story. There was a bit of time spent on world development and explaining the way vampire Houses work, but it was explained in such a laid-back, conversational manner that I didn't get bogged down and desperate for the action. The information wasn't dumped on you - you got it in manageable doses. I really enjoyed that. Sometimes the time spent world building just wears me down until I'm not interested in the story anymore. Not so with this novel.I didn't give it 5 stars because the ending just kinda... happened and then we were done. Not much of a wrap up. No temporary or minor resolution with Ethan & Merit. "Boy" used too often. I couldn't say I loved it. But I will be reading the next book and recommending it to others, so I'd say that the author succeeded exceedingly.Of course I'll recommend it! I just said I would, didn't I? :pEdit: I read books 1-3 before checking out blurbs & reviews for the 4th book. Since the story is headed in a direction I'm not interested in, I'm not going to continue reading the series. So, I can only recommend the first three books. But who wants to start a series knowing that they're not going to finish it? So, I recommend reading the blurbs for all the books in this series. They will tell you enough to know whether or not you're going to be okay with the twists, but they won't ruin things. Knowing the general idea of the whole series shouldn't take away from these books. They're fun reads, but I'm stopping before I start to hate them.