Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy #2)

Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy #2) - I feel like I may have been rendered speechless, but if I start typing, something of interest will surely be said.No, that's not happening. All I can think of is "What the fuck happened to Em?"*sigh* This was a difficult read. At times, I felt like we were just wasting our time. Too many historical figures. They spent entirely too long back in 1590 for how little they gained from it. I think this story would have been better served with the first half taking place in 1590 and the second half taking place in the present. So much time was spent on the everyday life and unimportant conversations and ponderings of historical figures. I dunno what the author was thinking. Such an amazing debut, but this falls way short of my expectations.I still liked it. I may skim over it again before the third book comes out. But I'm in no way tempted to reread this 5 times like I was by A Discovery of Witches. This was a bit of a letdown. But when Harkness got it right, she got it reeeally right. There was just a lot of nonsense in between those times.I forgot to mention this originally, but another book just reminded me. This book, like the previous, is written in first person. Diana is the voice unless she's not in the scene. But while reading her scenes, I would suddenly be taken aback when I read "I".. like "Wait a second, this is first person? Oh yeah..." And this happened maybe 5 or 6 times while reading. I'd stop, go back, make sure I hadn't started reading dialogue, then remember that that's how it's supposed to be, dumb ass. This has never happened to me before. I honestly don't know what to attribute it to, but I swear I wasn't intoxicated or anything. I have no idea what it means, but if this happens to anyone else, I'd really like to know about it. I feel a little stupid and I'm not sure what that's all about.I'd recommend the first book, but I'm not sure about this book. I'm holding off until I read the third and can recommend the whole trilogy or not.Edit: Reading through my status updates for this book, I feel like I came off as a bit bipolar. But it's an appropriate description of how this book made me feel. I went back and forth from liking what was happening to being frustrated to being amused to being bored.