Flight from Mayhem (Fly by Night)

Flight from Mayhem (Fly by Night) - Yasmine Galenorn *reading chapter one*
"His wheat-colored hair was tousled and shoulder length, and his eyes were pale—frosty as an autumn morning."

*checks cover of book*

*checks chapter one again*
"... wheat-colored hair ... eyes were pale ..."

*looks back at the book cover*

k....

*********** REVIEW ***********

3.5 stars

I felt like there was a bit too much going on in this one. We've got a psycho ex-girlfriend, a stalker, a haunted house, a doppelganger, an elemental fire salamander... Well, I think that's it. It worked somehow, but I still felt like we were jumping from one thing to another too often.

My other issue is that Shimmer seems to randomly have knowledge she shouldn't and also not have knowledge that she should. Spoiler-free examples: She's never even heard of doppelgangers before, but somehow suddenly knows they're from Germany. And she has repeatedly referred to Bette as a Greek water spirit and even explained this to other people, but is later like "uhh, she might be Greek, I'm not really sure"... Uh huh. Okay.

Final issue - we're constantly reminded of Shimmer's awful and lonely past in the Dragon Reaches before she came Earthside. It's constantly mentioned that she's a dragon. Dragon this, dragon that, dragon past, dragon eating habits, etc and blah blah. But she literally does nothing special with her dragon-ness. The only thing she did in this book that others can't do is go swimming with an orca. She might as well be a human. Why does it even matter that she's a dragon if she can never use the qualities and benefits of being one? "Oh, she can swim and doesn't get cold easily." WOOOOW!

Now, aside from all that, it's still an entertaining story. I generally like the main cast of characters and the magical beings are always interesting. The plot, though busy as fuck, is engaging. And the romance takes somewhat of a backseat to everything else. All of that is well and good, but I'm a bit disappointed all the same. I know this author is capable of knocking it out of the ballpark. I just don't see where she's going with this series or why Shimmer is special enough to be the focus of said series.