Dark Currents: Agent of Hel

Dark Currents: Agent of Hel - Jacqueline Carey "lugubrious", "pulchritudinous"... On the same page. Like a paragraph apart. This author is pissing me off. PUT DOWN THE THESAURUS AND STEP AWAY FROM THE OBSOLETE WORDS.

"eschatological", "antimacassars", "saturnine", "loquacious", "eponymous", "onotological"... OMG JUST STOP.

There are a few moments where I was like "Whoa, this girl is way the fuck out of her league." Like, I feel like Hel's enforcer should be able to kick ass in 50 different ways and would know at least the basics about and how to kill all the various creatures in the eldritch community. But she doesn't. She seems to be learning, so okay.

I was not a fan of every male character being down to bone Daisy, though. Cody, Sinclair, Stefan, etc. Please, not three. I can handle maybe two, though I usually prefer just one. But three is too many. And the reviews for the sequel indicate that this continues, so I doubt I'll be reading it.

But the mystery and all the crime-solving drama? Loved that. Oh, that was so good.

Overall, I had a great time reading this story. But I'm discouraged by the reviews for the sequel.