A Sorceress of His Own (The Gifted Ones Book 1)

A Sorceress of His Own (The Gifted Ones Book 1) - Dianne Duvall I would have stayed up throughout the night to finish reading this if I didn't have a toddler waking up at 8am every day. I did not want to put this book down.

Alyssa was a god damn delight. She's fierce as fuck, but also vulnerable. I liked how she tempered her sadness over being an outcast with a joyful attitude whenever she was in Dillon's company. She accepted her reality, but cherished the enjoyments she was able to wring out of her isolated existence. The author could have written Alyssa as such a doormat, and I've given up on a lot of historical romances because I don't do doormat heroines. Thankfully, Alyssa ain't no doormat. She got back up every time she got knocked down and I really enjoyed her.

Dillon is also a rare hero in that he's the typical warlord with a heart of gold type of trope, but also entirely willing to admit that he wants tenderness and love in his marriage. So often I get tired of reading about a man discovering that he wants to give and receive tenderness in his choice of mate. That is their entire character development arc - to realize and come to terms with the fact that they can love or be gentle or whatever. Dillon was already past that shit. I liked his broodiness and charm. I could have done without his being so uber ultra mega super protective of Alyssa. Like, shit got ridiculous. It was amusing, which I hope was the point, but I seriously doubted his sanity for a bit.

I obviously loved the characters, but this story also tickled one of my favorite pickles - external drama and threats. I haaate it when characters don't get together because of the fucked up thoughts in their head. Like "I'm 20lb overweight, this man could never truly love me" type bullshit? *buzzer sound* NO. If two people are kept apart, I want it to be because of outside influence. In this particular story, they can't be together because he's a lord and she's a peasant. And also, everyone thinks she's an old immortal witch. They love each other, they admit it. They get shit done anyway. They're kept apart due to sieges and battles and ambushes and kidnappings and throughout all of it, they still love each other, they still admit it, and they still get shit done. I loved it.

I would quite enjoy another story about Alyssa and Dillon, but it looks like the sequel is focusing on his brother Lord Robert and a modern day bounty hunter thrown back in time. Sounds interesting.