Embattled Hearts

Embattled Hearts - J.M. Madden Well, it took F O R E V E R to get things moving and then everything happened really fast. I liked the fast climax, for sure. It made everything seem more intense and dangerous. But I almost gave up before I got there because things were moving so slowly for the first half of the book.

Shannon was great. She wasn't TSTL, she was kindhearted, confident, and funny. John was a grouch. For good reason, too. But his lack of self-confidence wore on me a bit. How many times can somebody tell and show you that they are interested in your before you believe it? Apparently two dozen. I wanted to dump him out of his wheelchair for being so stubborn in his refusal to believe Shannon's feelings for him were real.

I think the best part of this story was the twist. When you find out who the villain is, you'll see what I mean. So unexpected and downright creepy! I don't think I could have been any more surprised unless the villain turned out to be John himself.

I'm not sure whether or not I'd recommend this book due to the slow first half. But if you go into it knowing beforehand that it'll take a while to get to the good stuff, you'll probably enjoy it.