Stormrise

Stormrise - Skye Knizley I've been reading this for over an hour and I'm only at 28%. There has been one death, one murder, one missing body, a date, an assassination attempt, another dead body, another assassination attempt, another date... And still, nothing has been revealed. No questions are answered, there are just more questions piled on. It wouldn't be so bad if literally half of what I've read wasn't scene descriptions. Every fucking building is described in such detail that by the time you're finished with the description, you can't remember why the characters are even there. Every outfit is described from top to toe. This is totally unnecessary and kinda pissing me off. Also, somebody that avoids relationships with vampires has suddenly fallen in love with one over the course of two dates? Her panties gushing every time he looks at her and "the love shining through his eyes" is some total bullshit. I don't believe it for a second.

WHY AM I READING THIS

Edit: OH MY GOD IT GETS MORE POINTLESS AND WORSE *head desk*

Edit: Okay, I finished it. Now that I've finished, looking at it as a whole, it wasn't terrible. But getting through it was so damn hard. I skimmed quite often when the author got wordy with scene building. Lady, I don't care what every fucking room the character enters looks like. Stop with that shit.

As for the overall plot, I did enjoy that. I had no idea who the bad guy was and I liked how it tied into Raven's personal history. Raven, though... I'm not sure if I like her yet. I'm going to give the next book in this series a shot, just to find out.

I'm not sure if I'd recommend this - the scene building is crazy annoying, there are quite a few scenes that are completely unnecessary and felt like an excuse for Raven to shoot even more people, and the romance was the cheesiest nonsense I've ever read. You really have to suspend your disbelief... even more so than usually necessary for an urban fantasy. The police work is terrible, the rules don't make sense, the vampire mythology is nonexistent, there is strange vocabulary you're just supposed to guess at. Things fade to black with no explanation - like how the hell did Raven survive being surrounded by over 100 men trying to shoot her like a fish in a barrel? Fade to black mid-scene. Start a new chapter eating hot dogs on the hood of the car. WTF? There are some small editing errors, but nothing egregious.

It's just kind of a mess all around, but a half-vamp running around kicking ass and shooting people in the face is kinda fun, so I didn't hate it.